Storytelling by Theatre & Photography
16 March: Vladimir Nabokov’s “MASCHENKA”
17 March: Vladimir Nabokov’s “SPRING IN FIALTA” & “MUSIC”
See Staged Readings section for details.
€5 (both days)
€3 (one day)
Enter LX Factory and follow the main street down past Bairro Arte.
Directly opposite BURGER FACTORY is an entrance (see pic).
3.11 Studio is on the 3rd floor.
If lost, call 915 971 163!
JÁ Shakespeare Workshop
PLAYING WITH SHAKESPEARE: 14-15 APRIL
2-day workshop. 6 hours in total.
This workshop is designed to get you confident and comfortable about performing Shakespeare.
We aim to have fun while demystifying his text. We’ll do this by playing with voice, movement and words. Over the weekend we’ll explore scenes and monologues from his various works. As a group we’ll explore ways to connect with the text, each other and our audiences.
This workshop is a friendly event designed to support actors of varying levels of experience.
- Please wear comfortable clothing
- Bring refreshments with you to help keep your energy levels up!
- Bring notebook and pen
Suitable for age 18+
Workshop Facilitator: Candace Walt
Performing since the age of 3, Candace studied acting with Patricia Bowker for a decade, winning awards for Solo performance before attending the University of Cape Town and the University of Stellenbosch. An entrepreneur at heart, she started up a children’s theatre company and toured plays in South Africa before working in Applied Drama in the UK. In 2016 she spent a year studying Shakespeare and his plays in Stratford-upon-Avon, attending masterclasses with the RSC. Having recently moved to Lisbon, she is currently creating two site-specific Shakespeare events, opening a children’s theatre and a New Era Academy Exam centre.
- €30 (normal price)
- €15 (student price)
- €5 (Já members)
JÁ Staged Readings
JÁ Staged Readings are our very own ARTIST’S LAB dedicated to experiencing theatre raw. An opportunity for both budding and established actors to plunge into exciting scripts stripped to their central core – words and gestures alone…
A chance too for directors to workshop a pet project, for writers to hear and see their plays breathe free of the stress of an impending full production…
And for audiences to experience the intimacy of action and emotion a few feet away from you…
Very few props, little costume, minimal set, live music on occasion – these events are about re-connecting audience and actors, with a script leaping to life. A performance, a glass of wine, a discussion with our audience, and then we all move on!
2 Tracks. Our Staged Readings are based on a two-track approach. Track#1 is for major dramatists, experienced directors and established writers, ie our mainstream track designed to create enjoyable theatre for one and all.
|March||Nabokov||Maschenka||2F, 6M |
for details see casting call notice
|3.11 Studio, LX Factory, Lisbon||Fri 16 March 2018, 20:00|
|March||Nabokov||Spring in Fialta||1F, 1M||3.11 Studio, LX Factory, Lisbon||Sat 17 March 2018, 17:00|
for details see casting call notice
|3.11 Studio, LX Factory, Lisbon||Sat 17 March 2018, 17:00|
|May||Euripides||Medea||1F (25-60) |
|June||JT Rogers||Oslo||4F (25-60) |
|July||Harold Pinter||Celebration||6F (25-60) |
|Thin House, Porto||TBC|
Track#2 is our more experimental vein, showcasing new writing, cross-genre collaborations, or a piece of theatrical technique in development… a chance for both specialists and theatregoers to develop innovative new ways of storytelling.
|May||Margarida Rocha||Pessoa, First Person Plural||1F (25-60)|
|June||Dan Cotterall||Anna||3F (16; 25-60; 40-60)|
|Thin House, Porto||TBC|
If you’re intrigued by literature and theatre, Staged Reading Evenings are a wonderful way to sample new flavours! From Vladimir Nabokov and Ernest Hemingway to living writers like David Hare and Elena Ferrante, there’s something here for everybody!
POSSIBLE PLAYS FOR STAGED READINGS
- Anna: in a corrupt state, an activist tries to raise her daughter, improve her wardrobe, and handle the attentions of a male colleague while focusing on her job
- Celebration: three couples dine in a top-end London restaurant. Lambert and Julie are celebrating their wedding anniversary with Matt and Prue. Russell and Suki are seated at another table. Richard the waiter asks leave to interject. Underneath the banter darker currents run…
- God of Carnage: a fight between two 11 year old boys leads to one of them losing two teeth. The two sets of parents meet to discuss the incident. Alan is a lawyer and his wife Anne works in wealth management. Veronica and Michael are the parents of the “victim”. As the evening goes on, the initial politeness between the two couples soon cracks.
- Maschenka: Lev, a Russian officer exiled to a boarding house in Berlin, discovers that his long-lost first love, Maschenka, is now the wife of his awful neighbour, and that she will soon arrive at the train station where her husband plans to greet her…
- Medea: Euripides’ classic tale of female revenge
- Music: one evening, in the drawing room of a society hostess, the sight of the woman he loved and the sound of a piano propel a man down memory lane. How will she react? What do the memories mean for her?
- Oslo: the true story of a Norwegian couple who organized breakthrough negotiations between Israeli PM Rabin and PLO Chairman Yasser Arafat in 1993…
- Pessoa, First Person Plural: this play, which weaves into its texture Fernando Pessoa’s multiple heteronyms, captures the moment when the poet meets the love of his life, Ophelia…
- Spring in Fialta: Victor and Nina are two Russian expatriates who have an off-and-on affair over the course of fifteen years between 1917 and 1932 and who meet – for the last time – in a seaside resort called Fialta
- The Astonished Heart: a psychiatrist falls disastrously in love with a woman who is an old friend of his wife
- The Lonesome West: Coleman is interested only in eating. His brother Valene dotes on his religious ornaments, and drinks poteen. The brothers argue constantly and mercilessly. 17 yo Girleen is in love with the local priest, Father Welsh, who does his utmost to fix the relationship between the two brothers…