JÁ Staged Readings
JÁ Staged Readings are our very own ARTIST’S LAB dedicated to experiencing theatre raw. An opportunity for both budding and established actors to plunge into exciting scripts stripped to their central core – words and gestures alone…
A chance too for directors to workshop a pet project, for writers to hear and see their plays breathe free of the stress of an impending full production…
And for audiences to experience the intimacy of action and emotion a few feet away from you…
Very few props, little costume, minimal set, live music on occasion – these events are about re-connecting audience and actors, with a script leaping to life. A performance, a glass of wine, a discussion with our audience, and then we all move on!
2 Tracks. Our Staged Readings are based on a two-track approach. Track#1 is for major dramatists, experienced directors and established writers, ie our mainstream track designed to create enjoyable theatre for one and all.
|March||Nabokov||Maschenka||2F, 6M||3.11 Studio, LX Factory, Lisbon||Fri 16 Mar 2018, 20:00|
|March||Nabokov||Spring in Fialta||1F, 1M||3.11 Studio, LX Factory, Lisbon||Sat 17 Mar 2018, 17:00|
|March||Nabokov||Music||1M||3.11 Studio, LX Factory, Lisbon||Sat 17 Mar 2018, 17:00|
|June||JT Rogers||Oslo||4F (25-60) |
|July||Euripides||Medea||1F (25-60) |
|Sept||Harold Pinter||Celebration||4F (25-60) |
|TBC, Lisbon||Fri 7 Sep 2018, 20:00
Sat 8 Sep 2018, 20:00
Track#2 is our more experimental vein, showcasing new writing, cross-genre collaborations, or a piece of theatrical technique in development… a chance for both specialists and theatregoers to develop innovative new ways of storytelling.
|June||Margarida Rocha||Pessoa, First Person Plural||1F (25-60)|
If you’re intrigued by literature and theatre, Staged Reading Evenings are a wonderful way to sample new flavours! From Vladimir Nabokov and Ernest Hemingway to living writers like David Hare and Elena Ferrante, there’s something here for everybody!
POSSIBLE PLAYS FOR STAGED READINGS
- Anna: in a corrupt state, an activist tries to raise her daughter, improve her wardrobe, and handle the attentions of a male colleague while focusing on her job
- Celebration: three couples dine in a top-end London restaurant. Lambert and Julie are celebrating their wedding anniversary with Matt and Prue. Russell and Suki are seated at another table. Richard the waiter asks leave to interject. Underneath the banter darker currents run…
- God of Carnage: a fight between two 11 year old boys leads to one of them losing two teeth. The two sets of parents meet to discuss the incident. Alan is a lawyer and his wife Anne works in wealth management. Veronica and Michael are the parents of the “victim”. As the evening goes on, the initial politeness between the two couples soon cracks.
- Maschenka: Lev, a Russian officer exiled to a boarding house in Berlin, discovers that his long-lost first love, Maschenka, is now the wife of his awful neighbour, and that she will soon arrive at the train station where her husband plans to greet her…
- Medea: Euripides’ classic tale of female revenge
- Music: one evening, in the drawing room of a society hostess, the sight of the woman he loved and the sound of a piano propel a man down memory lane. How will she react? What do the memories mean for her?
- Oslo: the true story of a Norwegian couple who organized breakthrough negotiations between Israeli PM Rabin and PLO Chairman Yasser Arafat in 1993…
- Pessoa, First Person Plural: this play, which weaves into its texture Fernando Pessoa’s multiple heteronyms, captures the moment when the poet meets the love of his life, Ophelia…
- Spring in Fialta: Victor and Nina are two Russian expatriates who have an off-and-on affair over the course of fifteen years between 1917 and 1932 and who meet – for the last time – in a seaside resort called Fialta
- The Astonished Heart: a psychiatrist falls disastrously in love with a woman who is an old friend of his wife
- The Lonesome West: Coleman is interested only in eating. His brother Valene dotes on his religious ornaments, and drinks poteen. The brothers argue constantly and mercilessly. 17 yo Girleen is in love with the local priest, Father Welsh, who does his utmost to fix the relationship between the two brothers…